Monday, November 14, 2011

Why Do Students Procrastinate?

According to this article, this a reason why students procrastinate:
  • Unrealistic Expectations and Perfectionism. You may believe that you MUST read everything ever written on a subject before you can begin to write your paper. You may think that you haven't done the best you possibly could do, so it's not good enough to hand in.
This pertains to me because I often doubt my abilities to finish an essay that satisfies by teacher's expectations. I am not confident in my writing skills, so I feel intimidated to turn papers in. This causes me to spend hours on simple papers to try to make them perfect. I never want to start this arduous task so that is why I delay on starting essays.

The article also suggested how to overcome procrastination:
  • Recognize self-defeating problems such as; fear and anxiety, difficulty concentrating, poor time management, indecisiveness and perfectionism.
In order to overcome my problem of procrastination, I will mentally prepare myself before I start my essays. I will think about my previous grades on essays and realize that I can do well in writing. This will give me motivation to start on my papers so I won't procrastinate.


No comments:

Post a Comment